With the Peloton App on Apple® iOS and Android®, you can connect a Bluetooth®-enabled cadence sensor directly to the app to see your real-time cadence in your cycling workouts, helping you to follow along with the instructor’s cues throughout your cycling workouts. Once connected, you can track your cadence metrics during classes and review your metrics in your workout history.
This feature is only available for App+ Members. App One and App Free Members will not be able to connect a third-party cadence sensor to their app.
Using a Cadence Sensor
While cycling, there are two key inputs to how hard you’re working - cadence and resistance. As the resistance goes up, it becomes harder to maintain the same cadence, or speed at which you’re pedaling.
Cadence is measured in pedal revolutions per minute (RPMs), and measuring and tracking your cadence will help you make your pedal stroke more efficient. While working out with Peloton cycling classes, you’ll hear our instructors place the most emphasis on hitting a target cadence, and then adjusting resistance as needed for your individual effort.
The Peloton App for Apple® iOS and Android® supports third-party Bluetooth® cadence sensors, which allow you to see your real-time cadence displayed right in the app.
Connecting a Cadence Sensor
To connect your cadence sensor to the Peloton App, simply turn on the device, and, depending on the model, put it on or install it on either your crank arm or shoe. Then:
1. Begin a cycling class on the Peloton App.
2. Once in the workout, tap the “Connected Devices” option.
3. App+ Members will see an option to connect a cadence monitor beneath the option to connect a heart rate monitor.
4. Tap “Connect” on the option for the cadence sensor.
5. You will be shown a list of available devices. Select the device you want to connect to your app.
6. A checkmark will appear beside the device when the connection is successful and the device name will show in the cadence sensor bar.
7. Exit the Connected Devices menu.
8. A blue dot will appear beside the connected devices icon, indicating the cadence sensor’s connection.
If you are having trouble pairing your cadence sensor, ensure that it is not currently paired with any other devices. If you continue to have trouble with your device, the battery may need to be replaced or recharged.
The Peloton App should work with any Bluetooth®-enabled cadence sensor. Some known devices that work on Peloton App are:
- Wahoo RPM Cadence
- Wahoo TICKR X
Note that cadence is not displayed when using Airplay through the Peloton App to an Apple® compatible device.
Disconnecting a Cadence Sensor
To disconnect a cadence sensor:
- Begin a cycling class on the Peloton App.
- Once in the workout, tap the “Connected Devices” option. You will see the cadence sensor connected to your Peloton App.
- Tap “Disconnect” on the option for the cadence sensor.
- Exit the Connected Devices menu.