One-Tap Apple® Watch Tracking
One-Tap Apple® Watch Tracking is bringing the Apple® Watch to all Peloton devices. This is a non-competitive metric that measures the intensity of a workout. From the Peloton Bike to the Tread, to the floor, One-Tap Apple® Watch Tracking will use your heart rate to calculate your Strive Score—a personal, noncompetitive metric that measures how much time you spend in each heart rate zone to track how hard you’re working out. The goal is to give Peloton Members an easy way to compare their performance across workouts, through a simple and seamless integration of services
Once a compatible Apple® Watch is connected, you’ll begin to see your heart rate displayed on your Peloton device or iOS® platform as you work out. .
Instant Apple® Watch Tracking will be available to all Members with an All-Access Membership and a compatible Apple® Watch or iPhone in the following territories:
The new feature will be available for the:
- Peloton Bike
- Peloton Bike+
- Peloton Tread
- iPhone or iPad (iOS)
- Apple® Watch (WatchOS)
- Apple® iOS 14 or higher
- Latest iOS Peloton app version
- WatchOS 7 or higher
- Latest Peloton Bike or Tread app version
Setup (First Time Watch Installation)
- Download the Peloton App on your iPhone through the Apple® App Store.
- Next, open the Peloton App and select "More" on the bottom-right of the screen.
- Select the Apple® Watch option from the list of add-ons.
- Then, click the "Set Up" button.
- At the bottom of the start-up screen, click the "Install" button.
- If you do not have the automatic installation setting enabled, you will need to select the Peloton Apple® Watch App from the list of apps available to install.
- Now that the Peloton Apple® Watch App has been installed, you will need to open the Peloton App on the iPhone to set up location services. This will allow the Apple® Watch to track your metrics accurately.
- There is an option that asks if you would like to connect to the Apple® Health app. From here, select the edit option and ensure that all permissions are toggled on.
- We recommend that the "Share Your Location" option be toggled on so that your running routes will be shown.
- Ensure the "Track Your Movement" and "Motion and Fitness" options are toggled on in order to sync the data correctly from your workouts.
- Start a class on your iPhone, iPad, Tread, Bike or Bike+, open the Peloton App on your Apple® Watch, and you'll be ready to go!
Note: Initial setup of One-Tap Tracking must be performed from an iPhone and an Apple® Watch in order for the feature to function. Once the Peloton App and Apple® Watch App are set up, you can then launch a class from any device you are signed into with your All Access Membership.
Workouts can only be initiated from the Peloton App on the Apple® iPhone, not directly from the Peloton Apple® Watch App.
Before starting a workout, please turn off the low power mode on the Apple® iPhone and Watch. There can be interruptions to the workout summary metrics if these options are turned on
During a workout, heart rate, heart rate zones, distance, timeline, and pace will be displayed on the watch.
Please note, distance and pace will only be visible during indoor workouts.
Completing A Class
Just like starting a workout, ending a workout should be initiated from the Apple® iPhone.
- Select the “End Workout” option from the class.
- Once a class is complete, you will receive a summary of your workout right on your Apple® Watch.
Please note, if a workout is not ended by selecting “DONE” on the Apple® Watch, the App may continue running, affecting your workout results.
Common Troubleshooting Steps
- Your phone must be nearby.
- Make sure both Bluetooth® wireless technology and wifi are enabled on your device.
- Check that your phone and Bike/compatible Apple device are on the same user profile.
- Make sure your watch is fastened securely on your wrist.
- Make sure you’ve allowed the proper HealthKit permissions.
- Ensure that you’ve downloaded the Peloton App to your Apple Watch. Steps to download the Peloton App to your Apple Watch can be found here.
Pairing Your Apple® Watch Using GymKit
GymKit is an Apple® platform that allows you to connect your Apple® Watch to the Peloton Bike+. While the latest Peloton Product software updates use One-Tap Apple® Watch Tracking, GymKit may be used if these updates have not yet been made. Please see below for more information on how to use GymKit (compatible with Apple® Watch Series 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6).
How To Enable GymKit For Your Apple® Watch
- Open the Apple® Watch App on your iPhone.
- Open the Workout App.
- Scroll down and enable “Detect Gym Equipment”.
How To Pair Your Apple® Watch To The Bike+
Step 1: Select a Peloton Cycling class (live or on-demand).
Step 2: For a live class: Please wait to pair the Watch until the countdown clock is at 1 minute (otherwise the watch will time out and disconnect). For an on-demand class:Select the class and click “Start” on the pop-up menu to enter the class.
Step 3: Touch/Tap/Place the unlocked Apple® Watch to face to the left of the camera at the top of the touchscreen. The Watch will vibrate and an on-screen prompt will say "connecting’" You must click “OK” on your Apple® Watch to accept the connection.
Step 4: Click “Start” on the workout. A small green symbol will appear at the top right of the touchscreen indicating the connection is active. The Apple® Watch will automatically disconnect at the end of the ride.
Please note that this feature is available for Cycling classes only and is not currently available for Bike Bootcamp.
When should I use One-Tap Tracking vs. Apple GymKit®?
For Members who have not yet run the latest software. Bike+ will still utilize GymKit just as cycling tracking has functioned in the past. Click here for more information on using GymKit.
With the new software update, Members can use either GymKit or One-Tap tracking with the Peloton App on their Apple® Watch.
The new Peloton App update allows you to connect your Apple® Watch with workouts across all disciplines and on all Peloton hardware, including the Bike, Bike+, and Tread, and the Peloton App, when used on an iOS device.
*One Tap Apple® Watch Tracking does not use Bluetooth® wireless technology and does not need to be connected via settings/pair new devices screen. In order to begin using One-Tap Instant Tracking. Start a class on your iPhone, iPad, Tread, Bike or Bike+ and then open the Peloton App on your Apple® Watch. If you have granted all appropriate permissions to the Peloton app, the connection will appear automatically after opening the app.
*Initial setup of One-Tap Instant Tracking must be performed from an iPhone and Apple® Watch in order for the feature to function. Once the Peloton App and Apple® Watch App are set up by allowing permissions and installing the latest version, you can then launch a class from any device you are signed into with your All-Access Membership.
Why is my Apple® Watch displaying this symbol?
If you see a heart with a line through it, your Apple® Watch is having trouble accessing your heart rate. Either:
- Your band is not tight enough and the Apple® Watch cannot read your heart rate.
- Your permissions are incorrect and Peloton cannot access your heart rate.
- Make sure your iOS and Watch app software is up to date.
- Make sure your Watch is secured tightly on the top of your wrist.
- Tap end on your Watch to stop tracking the workout on your Watch and you should be able to see your active workout and be able to tap connect to start tracking again.
- If you are still having trouble, confirm that your health permissions are correct by going through the Watch setup steps in the Peloton App settings. Make sure you enable all health permissions. You may need to close your app and relaunch it for these to apply
- If this doesn't, help delete your Peloton Watch app, download it again, and go through the setup steps.
Confirm that your health permissions are setup. Open the Apple® Health app and follow the steps below.